Saturday, June 13, 2015

Some thoughts from Groton Students

Rohan:

It has been interesting to meet the students at the high school. We recently had a very fun dinner with three of them, and we have made many new friends. We also enjoy our economics class and English class; it is interesting to see the different teaching methods used in classes at this school compared to American schools.


Charlie:

I’ve had a great time at WLSA Fudan. Most of the classes are in English by design, but we’ve still had multiple opportunities to practice our Chinese language skills. Most of the course load, which includes Colloquy and two different English classes, is catered to developing critical thinking skills, which makes for some really interesting class periods. Besides experiencing the academic life of WLSA – which is based on an education model highly similar to Groton’s – I am also enjoying learning more about Chinese culture through calligraphy and TaiJi classes. Though these can be frustrating in the process, they are also very rewarding. I’m looking forward to experiencing more during the rest of the trip!


Amy:

The students at Fudan are very passionate about WLSA and education itself. I spoke with a student who had experienced traditional Japanese, American and Chinese education systems and was interested by her opinions on each type. She said that Chinese students perceive the American educational system as fun and less serious compared to the military-like school structure of China, and she said that the Japanese tried to model their educational systems like America to lighten the work load of adolescents. However, unlike most traditional Chinese schools, she said that WLSA was trying to merge American subjects and material along with the intensive workload of Chinese schools to create well-rounded students.
On the other hand, I enjoyed the contradictory freedom and strictness of WLSA regarding social activities. They currently do not have mandatory sports programs, but students have organized athletic games due to their interest and love for certain sports. This differs greatly from Groton, since some Groton students do sports very unwillingly since it is required. On the other hand, unlike Groton, extracurricular activities at Fudan are required, and they tap into the creativity and hobbies of students. The diversity of their different clubs allows most interests to be accounted for, whereas at Groton, clubs that are unique or unheard of are dropped or ignored. Also, students are able to eat at local shops and restaurants during lunch and wander freely around the city so long as they return for curfew on the weekends.

Yan:

I have enjoyed being at WLSA Fudan this week very much. The dorm rooms are very comfortable, classes are very fun, and the students have been very nice and
welcoming to us. In the evenings, during our sightseeing excursions, we have made friends with our student buddies. These excursions have been very fun as Shanghai is a booming city filled with impressive sights to see and fun things to do. Classes have also been fun; teachers encourage discussions about different topics, and they are very nice to visitors. Our Taiji and calligraphy classes have been very interesting; it has been great to get to learn about these ancient Chinese arts. I am looking forward to more learning adventures in China.


Emma:
Studying at WLSA Fudan has been a thoroughly interesting experience. The campuses themselves are quite large, and the process of getting around school is quite different from being at Groton. There are three campuses in which we took classes, and they are all located within the city so we could potentially walk between multiple campuses throughout the day. My favorite classes that I took are Calligraphy and Colloquy. Calligraphy is a fascinating and particularly calming art, and I am very grateful to learn from a professional calligraphist. WLSA’s Colloquy class is largely discussion and debate based, and this class is provided for both Grade 10 and Grade 11. We discussed British policies in our Grade 11 class and which one might be the best for a strong government. In our Grade 10 class we debated the importance of nurture vs. nature. These lessons were my favorite part of attending class at WLSA.
My favorite activity so far was touring the Bund via cruise. The Shanghai skyline is spectacular at night, especially the Pearl Tower. A group of WLSA students accompanied us and it was a great opportunity to get to know them a bit. I’m most excited to explore the city of Shanghai in the days to come!

Malik:
I have loved my experience at WLSA. The teachers are so engaging, the students are so funny yet also very helpful, especially when it comes to translating Chinese into English. The classes never cease to amaze and I have had the great pleasure of conversing with some of the teachers one on one, learning their stories and why some of them, who are not natives to China, travelled so far from home. We were assigned a WLSA student buddy and my buddy’s name was Neal. We didn’t say much the first time we met, but afterwards a friendship blossomed between us. Along the way, I also met his roommate, Andy. I have spent many classes together getting to know Neal and Andy and they have proven to be crucial during my time here at WLSA. Having a buddy here is unique in that you can have a local that is your age and can understand you better to guide you through the sometimes hectic streets of Shanghai. I will truly miss them and all the other students I have become friends with during my time here. I have also enjoyed the sights and, of course, the food. I think that the friendships I have made here will be the most memorable thing for me during my stay here.



Dowey:
WLSA Fudan has been a very welcoming home for the last week. The students, noticing my obvious gaps within the Chinese language, have constantly made attempts to assist me in the schoolhouses, the streets around campus, and within the dining halls. I have become very proficient in pointing at things I want and using facial expressions to convey my emotions in the past week. I have thoroughly enjoyed the English literature and colloquy courses that I’ve attended; the teachers employ unorthodox methods of teaching and engagement, such as creating your own tweets to paraphrase stories and creating music videos to convey how the economy works. WLSA Fudan has been an interesting experience.


Roan:
Studying at WLSA was an unforgettable experience. The people are overly gracious, and the courses are both strenuous and thought provoking. Taiji and calligraphy especially piqued my interest because they were both conducted without the use of English. The dorm rooms were quite nice, and offered more amenities than I ever thought possible. I am sad that this part of our trip is almost over, but am also excited for the things to come.

Cherian

Since I arrived at WLSA, I have felt extremely welcome and was taken aback by the openness and inclusiveness of their community. I was a bit nervous at their graduation ceremony, which was our first night with WLSA, when a lanky kid came out and started beat boxing at us, but came to heartily enjoy it. To be honest, I did not know what to expect from Chinese classes. I thought that they would be very demanding and intense in comparison to Groton, but found that classes were actually more similar to Groton than I would’ve thought. For example, discussions mostly involved the whole class who were all very amiable and talkative, laughing nonstop. Overall, I love everything so far: food, people, sights, and China.

Ibante

I’m really interested in photography, and what better rich, beautiful environment than Shanghai. The bright lights, the interlocking trees, and the vibrant people make the city come alive through my lenses. Compared to other places I have traveled, Shanghai is new and refreshing. Its mix of ancient history with the fast moving present is something that I think can’t be expressed through mere words. Photography is my way of capturing these emotions. I have loved my time here so far and the pictures I have taken have made me so happy that I took the leap of faith and came here. I can’t wait to see what else I will be able to focus my lens on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to see everyone enjoying! Thank you to all the teachers, students and parents of WLSA for your hospitality. Thank you Groton teachers for take care of our kids and for sharing this wonderful opportunity!

    Malik's mom

    ReplyDelete